Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Girl

From the moment I found out I was pregnant, I knew that a hospital birth was not for me.  I HATE hospitals.  I hate blood, guts and the sight of needles.  Maybe it is because I sort of grew up in hospitals being that my mom is a nurse (oh yeah, and my aunt is a nurse, my uncle is a doctor and now both my brother and sister are nurses as well).  I like to think of it as the "My Girl" disease.  Remember how Vada grew up in a home that was also her father's funeral home business so she was a hypochondriac and was very freaked out by death?  yeah, well, I grew up in "the medical field", frequenting the local hospital and hearing stories about the people my mother would care for.  So, I too have become somewhat of a hypochondriac or "worry wart".
p.s. it doesn't help that you can now google just about ANYTHING these days--hee hee
of course, I do this AFTER consulting with all the nurses and doctors in the family. :)

So, our baby girl will be delivered at a local birth center.  The atmosphere is amazing!  And, I just love my two midwifes...it has been so great getting to know them on a personal level.  It is comforting to know that they will be there supporting me on the biggest day of my life. 
Going to try the all natural route...no epidural or pain meds for me!  There is a lovely birthing tub that I plan on taking advantage of though.  With some candles and music it'll be like a spa day! ha ha TOTALLY kidding. 
I am excited about this though.  No fear or worry!  I know that it will be the most challenging thing I'll ever do, but I can't wait to feel empowered and know that my body is doing what it was designed to do.  Women were meant to give birth and babies were made to be born!!!  I do know that medical intervention is sometimes needed and that some women choose to have epidurals/pain meds...and that's okay.  That is their personal choice and freedom to do so.  And, this is mine.  I'm owning it.  I believe in it.
Let's do this!!!! 

Check it out:
http://eastsidebirthcenter.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment