Monday, May 23, 2011

To Each His Own...DIAPER.

DEFINITION
to each his own:
One has a right to one's personal preferences, as in "I'd never pick that color, but to each his own."  Versions of this maxim appeared in the late 1500s but the modern wording was first recorded in 1713.

Thank goodness for the freedom to choose what we feel is best for our families, right?  As with all decisions one makes (in regards to parenting and life in general), it all comes down to personal preference and belief.  Luckily, my family and friends all support our decision to use cloth diapers and many have even thought about making the switch.  I have always considered myself a bit of a "rebel".  I do not do things simply because others are doing it.  I do not believe things simply because someone says it is true.  Daily, I make observations of the world around me, do the research, and then make educated choices based on what is best for ME (and my family).
Am I doing it because it is trendy?  no.  Am I doing it to impress others or fit in? no.
Aaron and I have chosen to use cloth diapers for three reasons:
1. Financial (it saves money!!  I have a friend who has only spent approximately $50-100 on a cloth diapering system for 2 kids).
2. The environment (plastic. landfill.  need I say more?  well, I will...
Last year alone, 18-23 billion diapers went into landfills across America. That works out to be approximately 38,000 every minute and adds up to about 3.5 million tons of waste!  Not to mention it takes 500 years for each one to biodegrade.  We don't want to have any part in that!).
3.  For baby (Plastic or Paper?  Uh, neither. There are no harsh chemicals in cloth and cloth is softer on baby's skin than plastic.  Stay-dry liners keep baby's skin dry and breathable covers keep baby cool.)
 
There are lots of great options out there but we have chosen to start with these 2 brands based on friend recommendations;
 
http://www.gdiapers.com/  (I already have a stash of 12 or more of these covers in medium and large sizes, TONS of liners and biodegradeable inserts to try---thanks to my mom who purchased them "like new" from a coworker).

http://www.thirstiesbaby.com/  (my friend highly recommends these...I have one small so far thanks to a friend who purchased one off of my registry.  I'm already eyeing some new/used ones on ebay to start my stock).
The great thing is that you can reuse on future children and SELL when done.

If you are skeptical, check out these sites and read more about why cloth diapering is making a come-back!  Regardless of what type of diaper you use, it is interesting to learn about what types of innovative products are out there nowadays.  We've come a long way since cotton and pins (ouch!).  Remember, we all have the right to choose what is best for our families.  We do not (or should not) however, have the freedom to judge what others are doing.  We must respect one another's personal choices. Whatever it is you choose, be passionate about it and stick to it.  At the end of the day, we are all just doing the best we can do and making choices that we feel are the best for our little ones and our family.

1 comment:

  1. I love your decision to cloth diaper - we can't imagine doing anything else and it's so easy! My favorite website is DiaperJunction.com and so far we love Grovia AIO's! :)

    ReplyDelete